- Do you have excess tummy fat?
- Are you wondering what causes belly fat?
- Do you want to get rid of belly fat and get a flat stomach?
If you are tired of the excess fat in your gut, you are not alone. So, what truly causes you to gain weight in stomach or midriff?
Is there something unhealthy about this type of weight with excess weight in the stomach?
Studies have shown the central distribution of the weight carries a higher risk compared to the lower body – the traditional apple shaped body versus pear shaped body. The apple shaped body with upper or central distribution of weight carries a higher health risk compared to the more healthier distribution of weight with the pear shaped body with lower body weight.
Excess belly fat with too much fat in the abdomen and around the organs is called visceral fat. This visceral fat is a sign of insulin resistance.
How common is insulin resistance?
One in three Americans have prediabetes or metabolic syndrome and another 40% have some signs of insulin resistance although they may not have to the degree of prediabetes. Combined with prediabetes and diabetes stage, a staggering 71% of the US adult population has some degree of insulin resistance.
What are the risk factors for insulin resistance?
- overweight or obesity
- age 45 or older
- a parent, brother, or sister with diabetes
- African American, Alaska Native, American Indian, Asian American, Hispanic/Latino, Native Hawaiian, or Pacific Islander American ethnicity
- physical inactivity
- health conditions such as high blood pressure and abnormal cholesterol levels
- a history of gestational diabetes
- a history of heart disease or stroke
- polycystic ovary syndrome, also called PCOS
Insulin resistance is when cells in your muscles, fat, and liver don’t respond well to insulin and can’t easily take up glucose from your blood. As a result, your pancreas makes more insulin to help glucose enter your cells. As long as your pancreas can make enough insulin to overcome your cells’ weak response to insulin, your blood glucose levels will stay in the healthy range. Excess belly fat as a result of insulin resistance leads to a cluster of medical problems called metabolic syndrome which increases health risks significantly.
Metabolic syndrome is a group of conditions that put you at risk for heart disease and diabetes. These conditions are:
- High blood pressure
- High blood glucose, or blood sugar, levels
- High levels of triglycerides, a type of fat, in your blood
- Low levels of HDL, the good cholesterol, in your blood
- Too much fat around your waist
Waist to hip ratio
Another way to estimate your potential disease risk is to measure your waist circumference. Excessive abdominal fat may be serious because it places you at greater risk for developing obesity-related conditions, such as Type 2 Diabetes, high blood pressure, and coronary artery disease. Your waistline may be telling you that you have a higher risk of developing obesity-related conditions if you are:
- A man whose waist circumference is more than 40 inches
- A non-pregnant woman whose waist circumference is more than 35 inches
Waist circumference can be used as a screening tool but is not diagnostic of the body fatness or health of an individual. A trained healthcare provider should perform appropriate health assessments in order to evaluate an individual’s health status and risks.
Some frequently asked questions related to belly fat
- Which body shape is better apple or pear?
- How do you tell if you are apple or pear shaped?
- What does it mean to have a pear shaped body?
- What is an apple body type?
- How do you know what body shape you are?
- Which body shape is the best?
- What exercise burns the most belly fat?
- What foods help burn belly fat?
- How can I get a flat stomach in 2 days?
- How do I reduce my belly fat quickly?
- How can I lose my belly fat in a week?
- How can I burn fat quickly?
- How can I lose my stomach fat?
- Do probiotics shrink belly fat?
- What food burns the most fat?
- What foods burn fat quickly?
- What are the best snacks for weight loss?
- Is peanut butter a healthy snack?
- What should I eat to lose weight in 2 weeks?
Weight loss success story – the story of Fred who came in saying “Help me get rid of my belly fat and I will love you forever!”
Fred’s Amazing weight loss success story with W8MD Medical Weight Loss Centers.
Tired of being overweight?
: 987 Old Eagle School Rd, Ste 712, Wayne, PA, 19087 Ph: 215-676-2334
2632 E 21st St Brooklyn New York 11235
W8MD weight loss program in New Jersey.
W8MD weight loss, sleep and medical aesthetics
140 E Evesham Rd Cherry Hill New Jersey 08003